Maria Theresien-Platz, 1010 Vienna
Maria Theresa Monument (690.004)
General and Historical Facts
The Square situated between the museums of art and natural history was part of the Imperial Forum project, which led to the construction of the Neue Burg wing and the above-mentioned museums in the middle/end of the 19th century. It is named after the memorial for Maria Theresa designed by Kaspar von Zumbusch, which was placed in the Square after having been built between 1874 and 1887. Empress Maria Theresa is sitting on her throne, waving her right hand, greeting her people. In her left hand, she es holding the sceptre and the Pragmatic Sanction. The virtues of justice, power, gentleness and wisdom are portrayed as allegoric corner figures situated at her feet.
Represented underneath Maria Theresia are:
- four grand field marshals: Leopold Joseph, Count of Daun; Gideon Ernst, Baron of Laudon; Otto Ferdinand, Count of Traun; and Ludwig Andreas, Count of Khevenhüller;
- her advisors in external affairs: Wenzel Anton Dominik, Count of Kaunitz; Johann Christoph, Baron of Bartenstein; Gundakar Thomas, Count of Starhemberg; Claudius Florimunde, Count of Mercy d’Argenteau;
- a number of representatives of the administration: Friedrich Wilhelm, Count of Haugwitz; Count Anton of Grassalkovich; Baron Samuel of Bruckenthal; Paul of Riegger; Carl Anton of Martini, Josef, Baron of Sonnenfels.
- A number of representatives of the high-ranking military: Count Wenzel, Prince of Liechtenstein; Franz Moritz, Count of Lacy; Count Andreas of Hadik; Franz Leopold, Count of Nadasdy; and
- a number of representatives of the academia: Gerhard Van Swieten; Joseph Hilarius Eckhel; Christoph Willibald Gluck; and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart as a child.
Österreichische Bundesgärten (Federal Gardens)
Burghauptmannschaft Österreich – Departments in charge:
Building Management: Dep. 304 – Museums
HVAC: Dep. 306 – HVAC
Property Management: Dep. 201 – Administration