Event locations

The Hofburg Innsbruck offers rooms for events under certain conditions. In case of interest, simply contact us.

Courtyard

The Castle Courtyard, which is enclosed by the Imperial Palace and built out of cobblestones, serves as the ideal venue for open air events such as concerts, film presentations, historic celebrations as well as outdoor presentations.

The Great Courtyard, with its many window axis and central risalites and the protruding structures so typical in Baroque buildings, is one of the most beautiful inner courtyards of Innsbruck. It was given its current dimensions in the 16th century when the Imperial Palace was remodeled and turned into a Renaissance Palace. Back then, an enclosed building complex was created that included walled and painted yards. Since this Baroque remodeling phase between 1765 and 1770, sculptural elements such as pilaster, framed fields, ledges and cartridges with the Austrian shield standing out on the gables, have decorated the façades. As multiple building parts of all ages co-exist to the east, south, north and west of the Palace, it reflects a variety of styles. Four portals serve as entryway into the courtyard.

Effective area: 1,260 
max. capacity depending on seating options:
Dinner: 600 persons
Cocktail party: 800 persons
Concert/film seating: 600 persons

Rental fees excl. VAT + additional charges:  
per day: € 1,280
minimum charge (minimum of 3 hours): € 320

Book online

For more information about our rental terms contact
Burghauptmannschaft ÖsterreichDept. 202, Imperial Palace Innsbruck
Rennweg 1
6020 Innsbruck
Telephone: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814128 l Fax: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814113
hofburg.ibk@burghauptmannschaft.at

State Rooms (Prunkräume)

Where you would once have had to pass through the guards, you may now attend presentations, press conferences or banquets, or celebrate company anniversaries, official distinctions, or the like.

Its former designation as antechamber, a hallway used for ceremonies, points to the stately function of the room. Colossal oil paintings from the years 1773-1777 depict various victories against the deeply dreaded Ottomans. 

On the occasion of the 100 years’ anniversary of the Tyrolean Uprising under Andreas Hofer, Emperor Francis Joseph I invited national and international dukes, the highest-ranking officials and civil servants, some court ladies, Innsbruck’s mayor and the city’s and province’s governors, the high clergy, and artists such as Franz von Defregger and Albin Egger-Lienz to a festive banquet in 1909. They dined in the three adjacent halls of Guard Hall, Giant Hall and Audience Hall.

Effective area: 114
Max. capacity depending on seating options::
Dinner: 30 persons
Cocktail party: max. 110 persons
Presentation / cinema seating: 80 persons

Rental fees excl. VAT + additional charges:  
May, June, September, October: € 1,040
other months: € 2,090

Book online

For more information about our rental terms contact
Burghauptmannschaft ÖsterreichDept. 202, Imperial Palace Innsbruck
Rennweg 1
6020 Innsbruck
Telephone: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814128 l Fax: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814113
E-mail: hofburg.ibk@burghauptmannschaft.at

Innsbruck’s most dignified festive hall serves as an elegant setting for receptions, gala dinners, festive banquets, concerts, lectures as well as presentations and much more.

The Giant Hall comes with ideal dimensions (31,5 x 13 m, height: 11 m) for which it has come to be considered the most sumptuous state room in the Alpine region. Its special aesthetic appeal lies in how the dark oil paintings, which portray the imperial family, are positioned in between the windows.

In August 1765, a public lunch banquet was held in the Giant Hall when Maria Theresa’s son Leopold of Tuscany was wed to Spanish infant Mary Ludovica, as the adjacent audience room had proven too small for this purpose. Festive banquets were always open to the public at that time. Most of the time, stands and platforms were erected to accommodate the visitors.

During the 100 years’ anniversary of the Tyrolean Uprising (see Guard Hall) in 1909, the banquet had been arranged in the form of a horseshoe. 

Effective area: 410 
Max. capacity depending on seating options:
Dinner: 240 persons
Cocktail party: 400 persons
Presentations/ film seating: 400 persons

Rental fees excl. VAT + additional charges:  
for cultural events harnessing synergies for the museum *): € 4,190
other events:
May, June, September, October: € 8,390
all other months: € 10,490
*) only as of the middle of May through the end of June and as of the middle of September through the end of October 

Book online

For more information about our rental terms contact
Burghauptmannschaft ÖsterreichDept. 202, Imperial Palace Innsbruck
Rennweg 1
6020 Innsbruck
Telephone: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814128 l Fax: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814113
E-Mail: hofburg.ibk@burghauptmannschaft.at

Altmutter Hall, which is situated on the first floor, is the very hall testifying to Tyrol’s independence.

This nearly cubic room was used as a meeting room by the provincial administrative authority under Empress Maria Theresa. It was named after the two artists Franz and Placidus Altmutter (father and son), for it features their frescoes all around the hall, 13 in total, which depict Tyrolean scenery: festivities in the countryside, mountain farming, transport (pack animals) and freedom fighter Andreas Hofer amidst the Tyrolean territorial infantry (Landesschützen). The somewhat slimmer paintings in the corners of the hall feature Tyrolean landscapes (1815).

The hall is also furnished by an empire-style oven which has the shape of a fluted column.   

Effective area: 60 
Max. capacity depending on seating options:

Dinner: 40 persons
Cocktail party: 50 persons
Presentation/ cinema seating: 50 persons 

Rental fees excl. VAT + additional charges: € 1,045

Book online

For more information about our rental terms contact
Burghauptmannschaft Österreich Dept. 202, Imperial Palace Innsbruck
Rennweg 1
6020 Innsbruck
Telephone: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814128 l Fax: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814113
E-mail: hofburg.ibk@burghauptmannschaft.at

Exhibition Rooms

The Gothic Cellar, the Baroque Cellar and the Foyer can be used for your special exhibition or cultural event:

You may organise receptions or exhibitions there, either independent of the museum/Imperial Apartments or in connection thereto.

The Gothic Hall, which is situated in the basement of the northern wing, comes with a cross vault and exposed brickwork – something that is considered unique in our cultural area; as such, it provides a matchless spatial experience. The combination of historic building substance and modern infrastructure allows for the sensitive building substance to be used gently and responsibly.

History of the Gothic Cellar

This cross-vault, which features five aisles, was erected at ground level in the year 1494. Therefore, it allegedly served as the entrance area which connected the northern gate to the drawbridge.

The two-aisled western part has been preserved in its original condition in Gothic style while the ceiling in the south seems to have been lowered in the Renaissance era and the eastern part must have been adapted for structural reasons under Empress Maria Theresa. Partition walls, which were inserted around between 1765-1779, and a lower vault were more apt to withstand the pressures of the masonry above (Women’s Quarters). The adapted hall was used as a kitchen. 

Effective area: 301-562 
Total area: 650 

Max. capacity depending on seating options:
Dinner: 250 persons
Cocktail party: 300 persons

Rental fees excl. VAT + additional charges:  
per day: € 1,590-2,620
per week: € 7,370
per month: € 19,990

Book online

For more information about our rental terms contact
Burghauptmannschaft ÖsterreichDept. 202, Imperial Palace Innsbruck
Rennweg 1
6020 Innsbruck
Tel: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814128 l Fax: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814113
E-Mail: hofburg.ibk@burghauptmannschaft.at

The decent foyer area designed by Huber Prachensky perfectly co-exists with the historic buildings substance.

The new construction of the checkout area/location of the cash registers and the foyer were an essential part of the extensive revitalisation works that took place between 1990-2000. The planning and executing architect and Innsbruck local, Hubert Prachensky, followed a clear line between the new and the old when it comes to the visual contact of historic construction elements. The open exhibition hall is divided into smaller spaces, which offer a rich spectrum of spatial experiences.

Visitors may reach the modern foyer with the cash registers and exhibition by entering through the Baroque entrance gate on Hofgasse Street (pedestrian zone). The five rooms situated towards the northeast area of Rennweg Street are ideal for exhibitions.

Effective area of exhibition rooms: 120 

Rental fees excl. VAT + additional charges: upon inquiry

For exhibitions harnessing synergies with the museum: discount


Book online

For more information about our rental terms contact
Burghauptmannschaft ÖsterreichDept. 202, Imperial Palace Innsbruck
Rennweg 1
6020 Innsbruck
Telephone: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814128 l Fax: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814113
E-mail: hofburg.ibk@burghauptmannschaft.at

The Baroque cross vaults complement both modern and historic exhibitions.

The Baroque Cellar was refurbished and equipped with modern HVAC and floor heating during the large-scale revitalisation of the Imperial Palace between 1990 and 2000. Furthermore, it was connected to the Wappenturm lift, which facilitates transport and logistics (exhibition objects, catering). As a result, it was possible to finally give the Baroque Cellar, which had been used as a storage and utility room or rented out ever since World War II, an appropriate cultural function that meets its historic value.

The connecting corridor along the Roman city wall connects the exhibition area with the Gothic Cellar.

Effective area: 350 
max. capacity depending on seating options: max. 80 persons
Rental fees excl. VAT + additional charges: upon inquiry
Rental fees for exhibitions harnessing synergies with the museum: discount

 Book online

For more information about our rental terms contact
Burghauptmannschaft ÖsterreichDept. 202, Imperial Palace Innsbruck
Rennweg 1
6020 Innsbruck
Telephone: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814128 l Fax: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814113
E-mail: hofburg.ibk@burghauptmannschaft.at

Sacral Rooms

Roman-Catholic and ecumenical masses are held in two chapels, which are also rented out for reverent cultural events.

The Renaissance chapel and its organ: architecture and interior design form an almost unparalleled stylistic entity (suitable for organ concerts, golden weddings etc.).

The Silver Chapel is situated in the connection wing above the passageway between the Collegiate Noblewomen’s Foundation (Adeligs Damenstift) and the Court Church ( also called "Schwarzmander Church"). The Italian Renaissance organ, which has pipes made from cedar wood, is one of the oldest in the German-speaking countries and it is still in use today.

History of the Silver Chapel

The Chapel, which was commissioned by Tyrolean prince Archduke Ferdinand II, was erected in two phases between 1577 and 1596.

It commemorates the romantic love story between Ferdinand and his Philippine Welser, daughter of a very wealthy businessman from Augsburg. Spiting any political common sense and even though it would not have been unusual for a man to live with his concubine, they got married. While Philippine was never truly accepted by the Habsburg family she was admired as a role model by the Tyroleans. Ferdinand even had to renounce a shining political career as a result of this socially unacceptable marriage; he took over the government in Tyrol in 1567.

When Philippine died and 53-year-old Ferdinand married 16-year-old Anna Katharina Gonzaga from Mantua, the building was adapted. A second chapel was added in the south. The double chapel accommodates Philippine’s sarcophagus in the northern, older part and plans were made to have Ferdinand’s and Anna’s tomb in the southern one. Eventually though, Anna Katharine, whose family altar is exhibited in the museum (Imperial Apartments), was buried in the Servite Convent, her own collegiate foundation.

The northern part was built by Italian court painter Giovanni (Hans) Lucchese, who was hired by Ferdinand II. Costal arches made out of marble follow the grates along the cross vault. The vault, as well as the upper sections of the wall, were presumably painted by a decorative painter around 1580, showing a regular pattern: angel heads with alternating expressions in offset rows. The hexagonal pictures in oil tempera located in between, representing scenes of the lives of Mary and Jesus, are by Johann Baptist Fontana.

Behind a wrought iron gate, an alcove with the tomb of Katharina of Loxan, Philippine’s aunt, who died ten days before Philippine did, can be found.

Philippine’s marble sarcophagus with its salient reliefs by Alexander Colin were set up after Ferdinand’s death in an unflattering position within a retrospectively built alcove. Parts of the arches above the laying figure needed to be cut out for the sarcophagus to fit in a niche under the stairs which is far too small for it.

The southern part was created by Albrecht(o) Lucchese in the years 1586-1588, who had succeeded his father, court painter Giovanni. It is tailored to Ferdinand II’s tomb and held in black and white.

All tombs in the Silver Chapel were designed and created by Alexander Colin. Works in the northern part were carried out between 1580 and 1581 and works in the southern one between 1588 and 1596. He also participated in the realisation of Emperor Maximilian I’s cenotaph in the Imperial Palace.

The Renaissance pipe organ, which is the only one of its kind in Austria, has pipes made of cedar. It was built according to the original Italian plans from the 16th century. The pipe organ console reflects Tyrolean furniture design, including the ornaments that were typical of that time (1614).

Effective area: 110 

Max. capacity depending on seating options: 96 persons

Rental fees per day excl. VAT + additional charges:  
cultural events – free entrance: € 150

Cultural events – entrance fee: € 520
public*) and private**) events: € 1,045
*) e.g. master classes, **) e.g. weddings, memorial masses

Book online

For more information about our rental terms contact
Burghauptmannschaft ÖsterreichDept. 202, Imperial Palace Innsbruck
Rennweg 1
6020 Innsbruck
Telephone: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814128 l Fax: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814113
E-mail: hofburg.ibk@burghauptmannschaft.at

The spacious, light-flooded chapel on the second floor of the southern wing is well suited for weddings, remembrance services and other small-scale masses.

The Chapel was constructed following the sudden death of Maria Theresa’s husband in 1765. She ordered it to be designed in the latest Baroque Rococo style. To this day, an annual service is held in commemoration of the Emperor.

Effective area: 80 

Max. capacity depending on seating options: 50 persons 

Rental fees per day excl. VAT + additional charges: € 985

Book online

For more information about our rental terms contact
Burghauptmannschaft ÖsterreichDept. 202, Imperial Palace Innsbruck
Rennweg 1
6020 Innsbruck
Telephone: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814124 (office) l Fax: 0043 (0)1 536 49 - 814113
E-mail: hofburg.ibk@burghauptmannschaft.at

Advice

For any inquiries concerning the Imperial Palace as your venue, please contact

Department 202 – Imperial Palace Innsbruck
Rennweg 1
6020 Innsbruck

Telephone: +43 1 536 49-814 111
FAX: +43 1 536 49-814 113
E-Mail: Hofburg Innsbruck