Kammermeierei (former dairy)
Seckendorf-Gudent Weg 4-6, 1130 Vienna
General and Historic Information
The historic building is located by the former pheasant garden, which was dedicated to raising peacocks and turkeys at the end of the 16th century. The breakfast room of Empress Elisabeth (1837-1898) is situated in the historic part of the Kammermeierei building, the private dairy at Schönbrunn. Milk from the private dairy always had to be available when Elisabeth stayed in Vienna, as it was considered one of the staple foods of her diet, whenever her current diet plan would allow it. She had bought most of her cows along her travels and had them brought to her dairy farm in Vienna.
The Imperial Silver Collection of the Vienna Imperial Palace contains a small stock of stoneware and nickel silver dishes, which had been manufactured precisely for the Empress’ Kammermeierei in Schönbrunn and which remained there until 1919. The original furniture can be admired at the museum of Bundesmobiliendepot (federal depot for movables).
The dairy and the cowshed were still in operation until 1960. In 1963, the open spaces, as well as a part of the building, were repurposed for teaching and experimental purposes and given to the Higher Federal Learning and Research Institute for Horticulture (Höhere Bundeslehr- und Forschungsanstalt für Gartenbau).
The Veterinary Practice of Schönbrunn Zoo is also situated by the dairy, south of the Tirolergarten garden and next to the gate of Meiereitor. It is also open to private persons, who can take their pets there. The office space of Department 403 – Schönbrunn Zoo – is located in the side wing.
Höhere Bundeslehr- und Forschungsanstalt für Gartenbau Schönbrunn
Bundesgärten Wien & Innsbruck
Tierärztliche Ordination Tiergarten Schönbrunn
Burghauptmannschaft Österreich – Departments in charge:
Building Management Dep. 403 – Schönbrunn
HVAC Dep. 306 – HVAC
Administration Dep. 201 – Administration
Telephone Dep. 103 – Telecommunications