Winter Riding School
1010 Vienna, Reitschulgasse 1 (690.005/008)
General and Historical Facts
The Winter Riding School was built in the years 1729–1734 by Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach for Emperor Charles VI (1685–1740). The building reflecting Baroque-Classic style was to be used for the training of young aristocrats, presentations of the Spanish Riding School and events of the imperial court.
Nowadays, the building is used by the Spanish Riding School.
There is an inner courtyard housing chestnut trees between Reitschultrakt (meaning Riding School Wing) and the Swiss Wing: this courtyard is popularly referred to as Summer Riding School; it is used by the Spanish Riding School for the Lippizan morning training.
Spanish Riding School
Burghauptmannschaft Österreich – Departments in charge:
Building Management Dep. 301 – Congress Center
HVAC Dep. 306 – HVAC
Property Management Dep. 201 – Administration