Mariahilfer Straße 88/Andreasgasse 7, 1070 Vienna
General and Historic Information
Maria Theresa (1717-1780) created a post for the Council of the Court Furnishings Inspector in 1747 to be responsible for the interior fittings of the palaces. The underlying reason of her doing so was that furnishings used to always travel with the royal family from one palace to the next and, therefore, these essential "movables" required somebody to organise and manage the transport and any necessary repairs. As time went on, the post’s scope of action extended to the furniture of all courtyard buildings.
The Administration of the Imperial "Depot of Movables and Material" was created in 1901 and a building was built to serve the many tasks of the depot and workshop building on Mariahilfer Strasse Street. A large display collection had already been inaugurated in 1920 and remained almost unchanged until its closure in 1993. The house was renovated in 1993 and three neighbouring buildings were merged into one real estate object. After the conversion, the Museum "Imperial Furniture Collection" had been presented on considerably larger grounds since 1998 and some parts of the display collection were reconstructed during that redesign.
Hofmobiliendepot – Vienna Furniture Museum (operated by Schloß Schönbrunn Kultur- und Betriebsges.m.b.H. )
Burghauptmannschaft Österreich – Departments in charge:
Building Management Dep. 304 – Museums
HVAC Dep. 306 – HVAC
Administration Dep. 201 – Administration
Telephone Dep. 103 – Telecommunications