Minoritenplatz 5, 1010 Vienna
Former Starhemberg Palace (690.065)
General and Historical Facts
Around 1670, Conrad Balthasar, Count of Starhemberg, the father of Vienna’s famous defence lawyer, commissioned the construction of this building. Erected in 1683 by an unknown building master, most probably a member of the Tencalla family of artists, it features the Early Baroque style. Its interior was adapted by building master Andreas Zach in 1784.
The Starhemberg family owned the Palace until 1863, when it was purchased by the State Railways and subsequently bought by the Count of Liechtenstein. It fell to the State in 1895 and was expanded afterwards. The building has served as the seat of the sovereign education administration body since 1871. It was reconstructed after 1945.
Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research
Burghauptmannschaft Österreich – Departments in charge:
Building Management: Dep. 404 – Ballhausplatz
HVAC: Dep. 306 – HVAC
Property Management: Dep. 201 – Administration